Tuesday, April 6, 2010

De-tagging Ugliness!



Have you ever been tagged in a photo only to discover it's the ugliest picture ever taken of you? Or simply thought, why would someone who calls themself my FRIEND post a photo of me like that? Is this some kind of sick joke!


I definitely have had those responses, so I opt to have the setting where pictures tagged by other people don't show up on my newsfeed. Maybe you can relate to this problem too. For other people it's not so much being caught at the wrong angle, but being caught in photos that don't promote the kind of image they want to reflect on the World Wide Web. I have heard all types of stories where someone's business is all up in the cyber-streets based off of a tagged photo. For less tech savvy people who are new to social networking, it’s easy to get CAUGHT UP whether that is with their significant others, family, or employers.


This reminds me of a dope presentation put together by Jarrad Henderson called "Stop Snitching on Yourself!"


Regardless of the slanted angles these pictures present, they are to some degree reflective of who we are and what we look like. Perhaps, more than we are willing to admit. Maybe it’s not the lighting or fatigue, maybe pictures simply present the uglier side of ourselves. How quick we are to tell the cameraman delete that photo. I feel like this is more acceptable with women because of the standards of beauty that are placed on them. But, I too have seen a few pics where I was looking midnight- black, nappy headed or crack-head skinny. Though I will never make these my profile pics, I am slowing changing the way I look at them and how I view myself.


Over the last few months I have seen some ugly traits in my character. Everything from self-absorption to being annoyingly presumptuous. I wish I could say that in the last few months I have changed my character completely, but that is not the case. However, what has changed is my ability to look at myself, flaws and all, and still have love for myself.


Do I own up to my ugly pictures (character flaws)? Yes

Do I Want to change them? Yes!!!!!

Do I Feel bad about myself? Hell to the Nizzaw!


I see the ugly pictures along with the good ones, and choose to be happy with who I am. I have always wanted to be this perfect image, sort of boy scout-type person, but I'm not. I can be just as much of an immature jerk as the next guy, and instead of arguing that isn't true, I chose to embrace it. I am a complex and unique individual who is ever-evolving. Each ugly picture of me reveals an area that I need to grow in and I’m thankful for them. Though I must say that Lighting is key for shooting darker skinned peoples!


What ya'll think?


No comments: